Thursday 22 November 2012

Wellcome Library

Last week when I was in London for a conference, I was walking back along Euston Road and passed the Wellcome Collection building and remembered that I had read about the library so decided to go in and visit.  It is a impressive and interesting building with a very nice cafe and shop although I didn't have time to stop for tea. The library is on the 3rd floor but you have to leave your bags and coats in the cloakroom.


The library was much more beautiful than I had imagined with an impressive central area and staircase. It is one of those libraries where you just want to stand and stare and take in the awesomeness of it. There were study tables in the main central part and then lots of books and shelving.






I was expecting the books to be all medical and science but they weren't - there was lots of philosophy and history and books about books (we could come on a family trip here as there would be plenty of stuff for T1 and T2 as well as me). I liked the names of the philosophers, scientists etc. that were displayed around the edges of the mezzanine level. It gave a sense of history but in a modern way showing that they are still relevant today.
It was a brilliant mix of old and new - lots of new shelving too and a viewing room to watch videos etc.  There were some little kiosk pedastel things for listening / watching YouTube clips with headphones.
I very much enjoyed my visit, it's free admission so if you're passing then go in.

No comments:

Post a Comment