Thursday 22 November 2012

My 'A Moment in Time' Library Visits

In December 2010, I decided that I wanted to visit as many libraries as I could - as part of every day life. I started this blog to record details of my visits. I wanted to visit libraries for a number of reasons
1. Political reasons - libraries closing due to public sector cuts and the need for all those who value libraries to publicise their importance.
2. The increase in use of digital resources does not mean libraries are not needed, they are needed more than ever.
3. Libraries are fantastic and interesting - escapism, peace and quiet, historical, useful and fun.
4. I like visiting libraries - I think all libraries should be open to all and people should make the effort to visit them and if you work in a library you should promote and advocate libraries.

Since Dec 2010 I've visited 39 libraries (plus 5 almosts i.e.ones that I've got to the door but no further due to access restrictions).
They have been mainly a mixture of public libraries and academic libraries.
I'm not sure what I've achieved.
Hopefully it has had a positive effect on the libraries that I've visited - one more user who has appreciated the space, resources and library assistant/librarian.
I've blogged about them which may help raise awareness (every little helps). I've done my bit to promote and advocate the use of libraries and explain that they are essential.
I feel very fortunate that I have always been able to visit libraries since I was about 5 and in which ever area of the country I've lived in. I realize that I'm probably not very important as a reason to keep public libraries open as I have access to other libraries, to online resources and have the means to buy and borrow books from friends or shops. But I do feel it is, and should be, a right for everyone to have access to libraries especially young people and children.
One important point it has made me realize is that I have a different view of libraries from a professional point of view than I do from a personal point of view and it is the professional part that is important. Libraries need to be relevant, they need to provide access to books but also access to a wide variety of electronic resources. They need to provide space, space to learn. They need to provide expertise and the people to facilitate the search for information and knowledge. Most of the libraries that I've visited do provide these crucial elements.
From a personal point of view I'm glad I can visit libraries because I want to look at the books and be in the space to stand and stare and feel the history and the mixture between purposefulness and escapism.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment