Friday 29 July 2011

Disdain for my 'read classic novels in easy readers' plan

My time saving reading plan which I mentioned in a blog post in May is continuing but I have not had any positive feedback whatsoever. The plan was to read classic novels but the 'easy reader versions' as there is not enough time to read all the books I would like to read. I would continue to read other books as usual which would include some classics as well as a wide variety of other genres.
However no-one that I have mentioned this to has had a good a good word to say for it - it has been greeted by blank looks, quizzical stares, guffaws - from colleagues to friends to family. It has brought out the self-righteous comments and logical objections "It's just not the same", "You're not actually reading the proper book", "Why would you do that - it's not the correct language or words". I agree with their comments to some extent - I'm not claiming that I have read the complete works of Jane Austen or every word of Dickens - but I have read the story which is no bad thing.
So I'm carrying on - this morning I read 1984 by George Orwell which was not particularly upbeat and I can safely say that I will not be reading the 'full version' in the future.
Next is My Family and other Animals by Gerald Durrell which I have read the proper version of in the past but need something to cheer me up after 1984.


No comments:

Post a Comment