Friday 23 March 2012

More Cambridge Libraries - Central Library

Yet another visit to Cambridge -to pick up Joe (and all his stuff) for the Easter holidays. The nice part was that my friend Kate was going to Cambridge too to pick up her daughter Charlotte so we decided to have an extra day there.
Kate is not keen on visiting libraries which is fine so it meant that I had to use some shopping time for a quick visit to Cambridge Central Library. It is in the main shopping centre, conveniently between John Lewis and the Apple Store.


It was very busy even for a Saturday afternoon in a busy city. The children's library was packed out with lots of conscientious dads reading stories out loud to their kids.
There were many DVDs.



There were many people on task - working on computers or sat at tables doing work or reading. The book collection was excellent and I wish that I had had longer to look round. It is obviously a very vibrant and successful library - but so it should be - the environment and users are all conducive to it being so.


I noticed a sign above the enquiry desk - it said 'Help' rather than 'Enquiries'. I asked if I could take a photo of it and whether it deliberately said Help. The two library assistants said they hadn't really noticed but assumed it was to be more appealing and more approachable.
They were helpful and approachable. As I went I heard them say it could be Help with a ! as in a plea for help - witty library assistants too.

No comments:

Post a Comment