Saturday 31 March 2012

Book Club Update

Last month we read Catch 22 and Pigeon English for our book club reads. Well actually I didn't get round to reading all of Catch 22 but have brought it home from work to read over the holidays. Most people in Book Club didn't read it all because it didn't appeal as much as we thought it would, and interestingly people who had read it before e.g. as teenagers or in 20s didn't find it as appealing now. We have found this with some books and I think it is because our expectations are higher as we get older i.e. more fussy, less time and also because there is a great choice of books available so reluctant to spend time on non enjoyable reads. We all read Pigeon English and enjoyed it although didn't think it was absolutely fantastic. There is a difficulty with an adult writing as a child as sometimes it doesn't ring true. I wish it hadn't been so closely related to the real life happening as that made it difficult to consider. I really liked the relationship between the main character and his sisters and with his friends - that was the best and most interesting part. I wanted to read more about them and how they interacted. The more I've thought about the book the more I've liked it - the characters have stayed with me but I would have liked those characters in a different story line......



This month we are reading The Flamboya Tree: Memories of a Family's War Time Courage by
Clara Olink Kelly. I haven't started it yet but have a copy to read over the holidays and am looking forward to it.



We are also reading The Warden by Anthony Trollope. This was my suggestion as I have been meaning to read Barchester Towers for ages and didn't know that The Warden was the prologue to it so we are reading that. I've started to read it on my Kindle and it is a little dull. I'm hoping it will improve otherwise there will be complaints at the next meeting :))



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment