Sunday 28 October 2012

Baltic Library

I've visited the Baltic Mill Art Gallery at Gateshead many times. I very much like the building but sometimes struggle with the exhibitions. The views are brilliant of the Tyne and bridges. I like the fact that it is free admission and I think this is very important - if you want to show modern art and make it accessible to all then it will have to be free. This is particularly relevant in areas like the North East because people have less money but should have the same opportunities to participate in culture. Also because frankly some of it is an acquired taste and I would be disgruntled if not downright indignant if I'd had to pay to see it. ( as T1 has pointed out on a few occasions the best bit about the Baltic is the stairs.....especially when you're going out)
Anyhow Geoff and Kate both like going and I do really but like to wander aimlessly. Last weekend I discovered that there is a small library - how have I not seen this before? Is it new? It was very nice with an extensive collection of art books and some Macs. I'm not sure how you get to use any of the resources as there were no staff present but I'll remember it for next time.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment